Are you aware that anxiety is now affecting 8.2 million people in the UK alone? Never mind another 40 million in the US.
My name is Ashleigh Coyle, I’m a 20 year old Irish model, from a very sane and stable family background, so we claim anyway. I’m an animal lover, to the extent where I have more time for a stray dog than most humans I know.
My miniature Yorkshire terrier – Gucci, is my world and has been for the past four and a half years since she was a pup. I’m also the definition of a shoe fanatic, the ‘buying shoes’ jokes from family and friends are heard on a daily basis at this stage.
A lot of you that picked up this link on my social media probably know me from walking out of the most famous house in Britain as the runner up – Big Brother 15 or from winning the Best Female Reality TV Personality at the NRTA’s or simply as the girl who looks like she’s just rolled out of bed no matter what time of the day, when being sent to the local shop for milk by her mammy (we’ve all been there).
A random fact to start my introduction most will say, but despite the brief I’ve given of myself in the previous paragraph you probably think I’m living life to the full or I’m super happy all the time or you could be the stereotypical a$$hole that assumes I ‘love myself’ (if only I had a pound for every person that made that assumption) but I too, am included in the above statistic suffering from anxiety.
Since suffering with this particular mental health disorder, I understand how hard it can be to introduce or even speak about yourself to people and trust me, blogging it is no easier. I’ve been a columnist and blogger for several magazines and the introduction never feels any less unforced. It’s very easy to sit back let your anxiety define you but it’s important that you don’t (future blogs to follow) so here’s a simpler format for you to get to know who I am – the good old 20 Questions.
- What is your nickname & what do you prefer to be called?
Ash & depends how close we are. I’m mental enough to probably take offence if you start calling me Ash after meeting me two minutes ago.
- How often do you doodle & what do your doodles look like?
To my mammy’s disappointment, unfortunately I didn’t pick up on her artistic skills, not even to the extent of being able to doodle, so my doodles look like my name.
- What do you do if you can’t sleep at night?
If I had have been asked this last week, my answer would have been the same as every other compulsive internet user, ‘sit on my phone’ but since then I’ve developed the benefits of meditation apps!
- When making an entrance to a party, do you make your presence know, slip in and look for someone you know or sneak in and find a safe spot?
Well it depends on who’s party it is. Like every other sane person, I wouldn’t enter my boyfriends, granny’s 90th with ‘HEYYYY WHERE’S THE CAKE???’ however I’d probably enter my best friend’s party in such ‘manner’.
- What is one guilty pleasure you enjoy too much to give up?
I haven’t quite decided whether it’s buying shoes or being every dog owners worst nightmare in the street by stopping and asking 101 questions and needing to pet.
- Are you more likely to avoid conflict or engage it head on?
Engage it without a doubt.
- What is something about yourself that you hope will change, but probably never will?
How stubborn I am.
- Are you more inclined to “build your own empire” or unleash the potential of others?
Well I’m nearly finished level 20 on ‘Sim City – Build It’ practicing for future world domination so definitely build my own empire.
- Do you prefer that people shoot straight with you or tamper their words?
The more honesty the better the friend I say.
- What’s one thing you’d rather pay someone to do than do yourself & why?
Pull the hair out of the plug hole in the bath after washing my hair because I’d rather vomit.
- What’s your reaction towards people who are outspoken about their beliefs?
I’m very outspoken and stand very strongly for each of my beliefs so people who are similar are my favourite types of people, although I hate people who force it.
- What’s your favourite position to sleep in?
Anyway possible really considering within the last three weeks I’ve fallen asleep on a mate in a cafe and in a bar but usually if I’m in a bed – on my side.
- What are the top 3 qualities that draw you to someone new?
Honesty, good listener & open-minded.
- If you could eliminate one weakness or limitation in your life, what would it be?
- If you could restore one broken relationship, which would it be?
Zilch, they’ve broken for a reason so why would you want that sh!t back?
- When was the last time you cried?
Three nights ago, I’m very much a pro-cryer. Despite my cold exterior, I do enjoy a good cry.
- If you were a crayon, what colour would you be?
- What 3 words would you use to describe yourself?
Honest, independent & argumentative.
- If you had one super power what would it be?
Invisibility 100% to hear everyone’s sh!t talk! OK and maybe save a life or two as well.
- What is the best present you’ve ever received?
My 16th birthday present from my parents – little Gucci.